We show you what a typical clear aligner check up appointment looks like
By Dr Daniel De Angelis – Adelaide’s Leading Specialist Orthodontist
If you’re an Invisalign clear aligner or Spark clear aligner patient I see you for regular orthodontic appointments to check your treatment, in conjunction with tracking your progress on Dental Monitoring.
A typical clear aligner check up appointment
- Whether you have chosen Invisalign or Spark clear aligners I see you regularly for check ups to make sure your treatment is going well
- When you come in, you’ll meet with me as well as one of our clinicians and clinical assistants
- In the video, I am checking Maria’s teeth and examining her scans to see how movement of her teeth has progressed since her last appointment
- I am also checking to see if Maria needs IPR which is short for Interproximal Reduction. Sometimes space needs to be created between teeth in order for the teeth to move into their desired position, especially if your teeth are crowded.
- If you have IPR it’s like having a little nail file literally file away very minimal layers of tooth enamel in areas that are crowded or that surround crowded teeth. IPR is safe and won’t affect the health of your teeth. It can feel like your mouth is being moved back and forth as the tooth enamel is being filed which is a little bit uncomfortable but it often doesn’t last very long.
- Under my direction, you can see the Clinician undertaking IPR on Maria’s lower teeth to create space between certain teeth.
- After Maria’s IPR is complete, Angela, our Clinical Assistant, shows Maria how to use the new Dental Monitoring ScanBox Pro.
- My team are happy to show patients how to scan into Dental Monitoring any time so if you need a refresher let my friendly team know!
What happens next?
- Attend your regular check up appointments
- Scan regularly into Dental Monitoring so we can keep track of your treatment progress
- Wear your Invisalign or Spark clear aligners for 22 hours per day
- Wear your elastics otherwise you might delay your treatment as elastics work hand in hand with your clear aligners to move your teeth and improve your bite
- Drink plenty of water and brush your teeth 2-3 times a day
- Check out more of our clear aligner tips here!